Monday, August 30, 2021

I am with you




On my drive to work today around 6:55 a.m., I am feeling down, empty, and a little overwhelmed. So many people are affected by COVID right now, some sicker than others. There is fear of this virus that affects all of us whether we acknowledge it or not. I know of several friends and family that are sick with other illnesses as well. My husband works in a pediatric ER, and he told me how overwhelmed they are with children affected by respiratory illnesses, including COVID and RSV. I’ve seen many COVID-positive patients in the OB emergency department. Then there is also a constant stream of political unrest in our world. There is sadness in Afghanistan.  There is flooding from hurricanes and damage from earthquakes, not to mention lives lost.  There are injustices all around us. 

It’s no wonder I feel this way this morning.  I utter a prayer to God, and I can’t even find the words to speak.  I have so many prayer requests and concerns.  I don't know where or how to start.  I recall how the Bible says that "the Spirit helps us in our weakness.  We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us." (Romans 8:26).  I think, "I sure hope you're interceding for me this morning."

My heart aches for the state of the world, and I am cynical.  I ask God, "Are you here?  Do you see what is happening?  Why are these things happening?"  I think that sometimes it's easy to wonder if God even cares.  He tells us He does in His Word, that He loves us, and we know He sent Jesus for us.  But, I still can't help but wonder how all of the unrest in the world plays out in His plan.

I look up to the sky on this sunny morning.  There is no sign of rain.  The clouds are fluffy and white and beautiful.  I sigh deeply and glance away, then something draws my attention back to the sky.  There, in a quiet moment, God draws a rainbow above me.  My breath hitches and my heart warms, as I realize what is happening.  He's reminding me that He's here, He's aware, and He has a plan.  I am overwhelmed by His concern for me and a tear escapes my eye.  For a moment, I feel sheepish for doubting Him.  Then His Word reminds me, "Fear not, for I am with you.  Do not be dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you.  I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." (Isaiah 41:10)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We really are created in His image

God sees This year, I started reading the Bible in chronological order using the You Version Bible app.  I’m reading it with my friend, Grac...