Tuesday, August 14, 2018

God’s children



This morning, one of my best friends, Jen, sent me a picture of her two children decked out for their first day of the new school year. Along with it, she sent an excited message, but she also shared that she was struggling to hold back tears as she realized they are growing up so fast. She apologized for the sadness and “sappiness” of her message, but she needed to share her emotions with someone. She felt overwhelmed.

I’m certain that many of you can relate to these emotions. It’s hard to see our babies growing up. My daughter is eight now, but every time I look at her, I still see her as three years old wearing pull-ups and calling me “Mommy.” She will still hold my hand when we are crossing the street or walking through a high congestion area, but that’s it. When she was younger, she used to reach for my hand all the time. She wanted to be near me and to know I was close by.

When I was thinking about our kids this morning, I realized that God actually calls all of us His children. He loves us like a Father loves his child. He loves you as His son or daughter. One of God’s names is “Abba,” meaning “Father.” He is our Father, and more amazing, He wants you and me to know that He loves us the same way we love our children. I really had to stop and think about that this morning. You and I love our kids so much that we’d give our lives to spare them. We’d take an injury or an illness to spare them. We’d do anything to protect our children. God loves us like that, AND to a degree we can’t comprehend. We aren’t capable of loving the way He does, but He loves us anyway. That’s how much He loves you and me.

I thank God for families, for loving relationships, for children, for tight friendships….for these covenants of love are just a minor example of the way He shows His love for us. “See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” — I John 3:1a

Have an awesome, blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We really are created in His image

God sees This year, I started reading the Bible in chronological order using the You Version Bible app.  I’m reading it with my friend, Grac...