Sunday, January 19, 2020

Ever-present help



I toss and turn as I snuggle under the blanket. It’s dark still and I peek over at the time on my phone. It’s 5:27 a.m.  I check the outside temperature, and it’s a blustery 22 degrees. Brrrr! I push further under the blanket. I should go back to sleep since I don’t have to work today.  The house is still except for the sound of the wind gusting outside and the whir of the furnace working hard to keep up with the cold. I close my eyes, but my lids pop open. I have too much on my mind. My thoughts jump from one topic of concern to another…my job, my home life, what I need to accomplish today, a friend who is suffering, my daughter’s difficulty with math, my need to exercise today, bills, etc. There is no uniformity to my thoughts, I just have a lot on my mind. 

I sit up in bed and turn on the light. My husband is working the night shift, so I am alone. I reach for my phone and open my Bible app.  I need some quiet time with God. I realize that time with Him is the only place I can go to soothe my tumbling mind. I find Philippians 4:6 and it tells me, “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.”  Then in 1 Peter 5:7, I read, “Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you.”

I needed these reminders this morning.  Perhaps you have found yourself in the same place. You have a lot on your mind. You’re worried. Your heart is sad or burdened. Maybe you’re just lonely. Remember that God cares about what you care about and He cares for you. He is right there with you, and He wants to help. Take a few minutes to talk with Him. Present your prayer and petition to Him. He will hear you, and not only will He hear you, but He will help you. 

“God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.” Psalms 46:1

No comments:

Post a Comment

We really are created in His image

God sees This year, I started reading the Bible in chronological order using the You Version Bible app.  I’m reading it with my friend, Grac...