Friday, September 7, 2018

When God says “no”


Have you ever felt like God might be telling you “no” to something you think you want? This morning I awoke early after having a dream about someone from my past. I awoke feeling sad and a little distressed. Old feelings from that time in my life resurfaced, and they were feelings I’d rather forget. During those early years in my life, I chose a path that I’m pretty sure God did not agree with. I chose a relationship that promised security and wealth and love. Only, after a time, the love was not there. I suffered silently for a few years feeling like a victim. After I cried out to God for help, He shut down that relationship. He had never approved of it, but He did allow me the choice, and I struggled because of my choice. Even when that relationship ended, I was still devastated. I no longer knew who I was or what or who I was living for. I didn’t know what or who was good for me. I suffered the pain of loss for some time.

But as I grieved the loss and worked through the pain, God started pointing out His plan for me. He helped me get admitted to medical school. He helped me become a doctor.  He saved me from dying from breast cancer. He introduced me to the man of my dreams, and I married him. He gave me a daughter to adopt and a family to love.

I look back and see that I had believed lies. I had searched for the wrong things thinking they would bring happiness. Even after making the wrong choices and falling into a pit of despair, God came along and picked me up, brushed me off, and set me on the right path—His path for me.

When God is telling us “no,” it’s because He knows what’s best for us. He wants to save us from pain and heartache. He knows what paths will lead to our despair, and He tries to guide and direct us onto His safe and prosperous path. However, God is not a dictator.  He gives us choices, and He lets us make them. If you ever find yourself in a dark place on a path that you know is headed for a bad place, it’s never too late to cry out to God for help. The journey back to His safe path may not be easy, but in the end, it will bring you peace and more joy than you can imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We really are created in His image

God sees This year, I started reading the Bible in chronological order using the You Version Bible app.  I’m reading it with my friend, Grac...