Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Memory Lane



Taking a walk down Memory Lane can elicit happy or sad thoughts. This walk can have a lot of sentimental meaning and can bring to surface feelings of nostalgia, as we can sometimes yearn for what used to be. Taking this walk can also cause negative feelings. When our steps down this dusty path remind us of our mistakes, things we did to hurt other people or our past hurts, it only takes seconds for that deep ache in our guts to stir.

Looking back is important. We have to remember lessons we’ve learned from our past mistakes. We are better people because of those lessons learned. What we can’t do is re-live those mistakes by playing them over and over. This is a fast and sure way to fall into a pit of despair. “I shouldn’t have done that, or I should have done that, or if I had only made that decision, I wouldn’t be where I am now.” It’s too easy to look back and see all of our regrets. We all made mistakes, and we still do.

I’ve come to realize over my almost half century of life that looking back is important so that I don’t keep making the same mistakes. However, looking back and dwelling on past hurts and wrong doing will only bring us shame, more pain, self-doubt, and a longing to go back and change things (which we can’t do). God tells us that he separates our sins from us as far as the East is from the West. Psalm 103:12 says “As far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us.” The East and West are separated infinitely. God forgives our sins from the past like that and removes them from us when we ask Him for forgiveness.  

If you’re like me, you have many regrets, but I know that because I’ve asked God for forgiveness, He has forgiven me. Guess what else? He has forgotten those sins/mistakes. I used to keep bringing them up by going back to them. I don’t believe God wants us to do that. He wants us to learn from our mistakes, make changes, move forward in confidence, and have joy. John 15:11 says, “I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.”

So friends, let the baggage be what it is: a lesson to us; but then let’s ask for forgiveness, drop the baggage at the feet of Jesus, and move forward toward the joyful life God wants for us.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We really are created in His image

God sees This year, I started reading the Bible in chronological order using the You Version Bible app.  I’m reading it with my friend, Grac...