Sunday, June 17, 2018

Happy Father’s Day!


Happy Father’s Day!

I am fortunate to still have my dad with me on this earth. I know that some of you are not, and that especially today, you miss him. It is comforting to know that our Heavenly Father will always be here with us. Luke 15:31 says, “‘My son,’ the Father said, ‘You are always with me, and everything I have is yours.’”

 


I have many memories of my dad. One of my earliest memories is when I was about two years old. I was at my grandma’s house with my parents. Dad took me out to the car to get something. We walked up the driveway to the car, and as we walked back, the rain began to fall in sprinkles. I remember the polka dots of raindrops on the driveway. My dad lifted me up to his shoulders and began singing “Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head,” by B.J. Thomas. Not long after that, I remember being at my great grandmother’s house at Christmas. I must have been about three then. I was sitting in my dad’s lap, and we were reading a book together. Then at the age of five, I have a memory of sitting on the couch with dad at home, watching an episode of “Lost in Space.” Dad had me nestled in cozy next to him. He let me drink Big Red out of his big, green cup. I felt special. All through my childhood, I remember one thing about my dad: He was always showing me how much he loved me. This is true even into my adult years. 


I’m blessed to have a dad who has consistently shown me what the love of God the Father is like. For those of you who did not have loving fathers, I share my dad’s example because I think it represents the way God, Abba, loves us. No matter what kind of relationship you have/had with your dad, remember that Abba loves you tenderly and without conditions. Isaiah 43:4 says, “Since you are precious and honored in my sight, and because I love you, I will give people in exchange for you, nations in exchange for your life.” John 3:16 is a clear reminder of how much God loves you. “For God so loved the world (you), that he gave his only begotten Son. That whosoever believes in him will not die, but have everlasting life (with Him).”

                          


My husband, Mark, is also a great example of God’s fatherly love for His children. Sometimes he amazes me with his great patience. When the kids need discipline, he is slow to anger; and he wants them to understand the error of their ways, rather than just ordering a punishment. He will spend a great deal of time instructing them, but he also spends an equal amount of time listening to them. My husband’s parenting example is one I try to adopt. I tend to be a bit more dramatic, lose my patience, and even fly off the handle at times. Mark usually goes behind me after the dust settles, and he smoothes everything over for me and for the kids. He is definitely a peacemaker, and I’m sure that that must be one of his spiritual gifts.

Whatever your memories of your earthly father, remember how much God, the Father, Abba, loves you. His love for you is true, solid, and without reservation. He longs to take you in His arms and hold your heart next to His. He is the ultimate Daddy, and He is yours.



No comments:

Post a Comment

We really are created in His image

God sees This year, I started reading the Bible in chronological order using the You Version Bible app.  I’m reading it with my friend, Grac...